Texans can legally buy farm-fresh, raw milk from licensed Texas dairies. But the government requires consumers to drive to the farm — which may be 2 or 3 hours away — to get it. The current law burdens consumers, and it penalizes family farmers who are unfairly prevented from marketing their milk.
HB 46, filed by Representative Flynn, would allow the sale of raw milk by licensed farmers at farmers’ markets, drop points, and through delivery. The same bill was filed last session, but failed to pass.
Please help us pass HB 46 this session to make it easier for farmers to market and consumers to access raw milk!
Read the “TAKE ACTION” section of this post for more details on what you can do.
HB 46: FACTS ABOUT THE BILL
- Would allow licensed farmers to sell raw milk at farmers markets and through delivery arrangements.
- Makes no other change to the existing health and safety regulations for raw milk that have been successful in protecting the public’s health in Texas.
- Sales will continue to be limited to direct-to-consumer transactions, as they are currently. The bill does not allow sales of raw milk in grocery stores.
Many advantages to HB 46…
- Addresses the consumer demand for high-quality raw milk by making it available at farmers markets and through home delivery.
- Benefit rural economies because direct farm-to-consumer sales of raw milk can mean the difference between a net loss on the farm and a reasonable income for the farm family – which impacts the entire community.
- Improves the safety of raw milk by allowing producers to transport it to consumers under safe conditions.
- By allowing a producer to make a single trip to serve multiple customers, rather than having each customer drive to the farm, the bill reduces vehicle miles, thereby benefiting air quality, traffic congestion, and public safety.
What can you do?
Call your State Representative and ask him or her to SUPPORT HB 46.
The legislators need to hear from YOU! The chance of HB 46 passing this session depends heavily on the voice of Texas local foods consumers. It only takes a few minutes to contact your legislator, and it really does make a difference. Here are some helpful steps:
1. You can find out who your legislators are at www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us or by calling the Capitol Switchboard at 512-463-4630. The Switchboard can connect you directly to their offices.
2. Call your State Representative. (Be sure to check if you live in one of the districts listed at the end of this post.)
Message: “Hi, my name is ____ and I am a constituent. I am calling to urge Representative ___ to co-author HB 46, to legalize the sale of raw milk at farmers markets and other direct-to-consumer options. Do you know where he/she stands on this bill?”
If the staffer says they don’t know the Representative’s position (which is a common response), say: “I would very much appreciate it if you could call me back after talking with the Representative. This issue is very important to me and my family.”
You can also offer to send them materials about the bill via email. Download our fact sheet or email Judith@FarmAndRanchFreedom.org and we’ll follow up. (You can also download a raw milk flyer with information from this post to share with others in your community.)
3. Then, call your State Senator and ask him or her to support HB 46 when it comes to Texas Senate.