We need your help to legalize direct farm-to-consumer sales of raw milk in Iowa!
HSB 131 and SF 77 (The Milk Bill) would legalize sales of raw milk directly from farmers to consumers. Farmers could sell directly to consumers without being licensed by the state as long as they sold only on-farm or through delivery arrangements made directly with the consumer. The bills would NOT allow re-selling or sales at grocery stores or farmers’ markets.
The House Local Government Subcommittee and the Senate Agriculture Subcommittee are holding a Joint Subcommittee hearing on the bills this Wednesday, February 27. If the subcommittees approve it, then it can go the full Committees, possibly the same week.
The legislators need to hear from YOU! Here are three ways you can help, depending on your time and schedule:
TAKE ACTION #1:
Come to the hearing. Having people there in person really makes an impact on the legislators!
WHEN: Wednesday, February 27, at 7:30 am
WHERE: Judiciary Room 103, 1007 East Grand Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa
While you’re at the Capitol, you can also help by visiting your own Representative and Senator, to urge them to support HSB 131 and SF 77.
TAKE ACTION #2:
Email the members of the House Local Government Committee and Senate Agriculture Committee, listed below, and urge them to vote yes on the bills. A sample email is included after the list of Committee members.
TAKE ACTION #3:
Call or email your own Representative and Senator to let them know how important raw milk is to you. Ask your Representative and Senator to do everything they can to help move the bills forward quickly.
If you don’t know who represents you, you can find out at www.legis.iowa.gov/Legislators/find.aspx or by calling the Capitol Switchboard at 515-281-3221
- Jason Schultz (R, District 18), Chair – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greg Heartsill (R, District 28), Vice Chair – email@example.com
- Art Staed (D, District 66), Ranking Member – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cecil Dolecheck (R, District 24) – email@example.com
- Dean Fisher (R, District 72) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Forbes (D, District 40) – email@example.com
- Mary Gaskill (D, District 81) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tedd Gassman (R, District 7) email@example.com
- Mary Ann Hanusa (R, District 16) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jake Highfill (R, District 39) – email@example.com
- Bob M. Kressig (D, District 59) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daniel Lundby (D, District 68) – email@example.com
- Dawn E. Pettengill (R, District 75) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Henry V. Rayhons (R, District 8) – email@example.com
- Joe Riding (D, District 30) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kirsten Running-Marquardt (D, District 69) – email@example.com
- Larry Sheets (R, District 80) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Quentin Stanerson (R, District 95) – email@example.com
- Phyllis Thede (D, District 93) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Matt W. Windschitl (R, District 17) – email@example.com
- Frank Wood (D, District 92) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Senate Agriculture Committee Members
- Joe Seng (D, District 45), Chair – email@example.com
- Rich Taylor (D, District 42), Vice Chair – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dan Zumbach (R, District 48), Ranking Member – email@example.com
- Daryl Beall (D, District 5) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dennis Black (D, District 15) – email@example.com
- Tod Bowman (D, District 29) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Brase (D, District 46) – email@example.com
- Sandra Greiner (R, District 39) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dennis Guth (R, District 4) – email@example.com
- Rita Hart (D, District 49) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hubert Houser (R, District 11) – email@example.com
- Tim L. Kapucian (R, District 38) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steven J. Sodders (D, District 36) – email@example.com
Dear (Representative or Senator )____________,
I urge you to vote yes on HSB 131/ SF 77, to legalize direct farm-to-consumer sales of raw milk in Iowa. Raw milk is important to me because _______________ (include a sentence or two about why you care about raw milk).
I urge you to allow Iowa citizens to make their own choices about the benefits and risks of raw milk. Please vote yes on HSB 131/ SF 77.