Disaster Assistance for Livestock and Poultry

We are cooperating with Texas Organic Farmers & Gardeners Association to develop resources for disaster recovery. Please visit the TOFGA page for extensive information on a wide range of government resources and programs.

Below is information specifically focused on resources for livestock and poultry producers.  We will update this list regularly.  Last update: September 22

SHELTER: If you are in need of a place to hold relocated animals, go to http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/emergency/TAHC_SheltersHoldingFacilities.pdf for a list of holding facilities and the contact information.  For both large and small animal shelter, you can also call 2-1-1.

FEED: AgriLife Extension has set up supply points for livestock feed for ranchers in the affected areas.  Contact your local Extension Agent (find them at https://counties.agrilife.org/) or the Animal Supply Point Phone Bank at 979-845-7800.

If you need hay or livestock feed delivered to stranded livestock, contact your county emergency management coordinator or your county judge to obtain a State of Texas Assistance Request (STAR) form. These requests must start at the local level. To find your county emergency management coordinator or county judge, simply search online using the name of your county and emergency management coordinator or county judge (example, “Waller County Emergency Management Coordinator” or “Waller County Judge”)

Information on carcass disposal:  http://www.tahc.texas.gov/emergency/CARP-CarcassDisposal.pdf

Funds for repairing property damage and preparing for future storms: USDA-NRCS also has a special EQUIP for conservation practices that address flood and wind damage, and excessive runoff to address natural resource concerns caused by the hurricane and provide future protection from exceptional storm events.  Again, apply at your local NRCS office.  The first deadline is October 6, 2017.

Compensation for Livestock Losses — covers both dead animals and livestock-related losses, such as feed and transport.

  • FSA Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP): This program provides cash payments for livestock death losses in excess of normal mortality due to adverse weather. Eligible losses may include those determined by FSA to have been caused by hurricanes, floods, blizzards, disease, wildfires, extreme heat, and extreme cold. LIP indemnity payments will be 75 percent of the market value of the livestock on the day before the date of death of the livestock, as determined by FSA.  If your local FSA office tells you funds are not available yet, ask if you can still fill out a loss report — there will almost certainly be funds, and you want to get  in line early!


  • FSA Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honey Bees, and Farm-raised Fish (ELAP): This program provides financial assistance to eligible producers of livestock, honeybees, and farm-raised fish for losses due to disease, certain adverse weather events, or loss conditions, including blizzards and wildfires, as determined by disaster declaration for your county. ELAP assistance is provided for losses not covered by other disaster assistance programs authorized by the 2014 Farm Bill, such as losses not covered by the Livestock Indemnity Program.


  • DOCUMENT YOUR LOSSES, both dead animals and economic losses related to livestock – both programs will require documentation
    • Documentation of the number, kind, type, and weight range of livestock that have died, supplemented if possible by photographs or video records of ownership and losses;
    • Rendering truck receipts by kind, type, and weight
    • Beginning inventory supported by birth record or purchase receipts.
    • Costs of transporting livestock feed to eligible livestock, such as receipts for equipment rental fees for hay lifts
    • Feed purchase receipts if feed supplies or grazing pastures are destroyed
  • CONTACT your local FSA office and file a Notice of Loss within 30 days of when the loss is apparent.


To donate funds: Several groups are collecting funds to help Texas farmers impacted by Hurricane Harvey:

  1. Texas Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association’s Disaster Relief Fund was first set up in 2011 because of the drought, and has now been reactivated.  Funds will be disbursed to sustainable and organic farmers. Go to TOFGA.org to donate.
  2. Texas Center for Local Food is leading a 30-day fundraiser to provide cash assistance.  Visit the Barnraiser site to donate. To apply for funds, visit http://bit.ly/FarmerHarveyReliefApp.  To share your pictures & story to help with fundraising, email sueb@texaslocalfood.org
  3. TDA’s State of Texas Agriculture Relief Program (STAR): The STAR Fund takes private donations to provide cost-share to farmers and ranchers in natural disasters. STAR Fund money may be used to assist farmers and ranchers in rebuilding fences, restoring operations and paying for other agricultural disaster relief. https://www.texasagriculture.gov/Home/ProductionAgriculture/DisasterAssistance/STARFund.aspx

To donate hay:  https://www.texasagriculture.gov/Home/ProductionAgriculture/HayHotline