If you’ve been a member in the past, we hope you will renew your membership. (Contact us to check the status of your membership.)
Becoming a member of FARFA helps protect our farms and our food supply from regulations that unnecessarily burden small farms and limit access to local foods. Your membership fees help fund FARFA’s work – but even more importantly, more members means the government pays more attention to what we have to say.
Legislators frequently ask how many members we have. They want to know why they should listen to us. We have the truth and facts on our side, but we need members to convince the legislators that they should listen to those facts.
And, of course, we need money to continue our education and lobbying efforts.
In the past seven years, we have:
- Stopped the National Animal Identification System (NAIS) from imposing electronic tracking on all livestock owners;
- Protected small, direct-marketing farmers from new federal regulations under the Food Safety Modernization Act, by successfully fighting for the Tester-Hagan amendment;
- Worked on bills in multiple states to improve access to raw milk;
- Won passage of a cottage foods bill in Texas;
- Provided support and resources for grassroots efforts around the country on all of these issues and more.
All of these accomplishments include many tangible activities that require funding:
- Researching and developing top-quality educational and informational materials
- Printing and distributing materials
- Lobbying legislators in Texas and Washington, D.C.
- Attending conferences and events, from fairs to town hall meetings