Fighting for food freedom.
Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance (FARFA) is a national organization that supports independent family farmers and protects a healthy and productive food supply for American consumers. FARFA promotes common sense policies for local, diversified agricultural systems.
FARFA advocates on behalf of the thousands of small-scale farmers and ranchers who produce food using sustainable/regenerative methods, which means we also work for the millions of consumers who care about protecting and rights and traditional freedoms … people like you.
With 2021 being an odd-numbered year, that means the Texas Legislature is in session, and FARFA is working on a number of bills on behalf of small-scale producers and Texas consumers. Keep up with all the important local foods and farm-related bills at Texas Legislative Session News & Bill Tracking.
- Stay informed on the issues affecting your farms and your food.
- Build skills and gather resources you need to make change at the state and national legislative level.
- Get involved and support the work we do to protect our rights and local food systems.
What FARFA has accomplished.
We have a record of success at the national level as well as in Texas, where we are based. With the support of our members, allies, and friends, our achievements include:
- We led the fight against National Animal Identification System regulations that would have created massive bureaucracy, raised the cost of food, and interfered with private ownership of livestock, poultry, and horses.
- We got a key amendment to the federal Food Safety Modernization Act to exempt small-scale local producers from regulations that would have driven them out of business.
- During the most recent Texas Legislative Session, we worked to pass 5 new bills that make it easier for small producers to make a living, including one that makes the state’s Cottage Foods Law one of the least restrictive in the country.
- FARFA, along with its educational arm, the Council for Healthy Food Systems, hosts an annual Farm & Food Leadership Conference, gathering hundreds of producers, advocates, local food enthusiasts, chefs, and homesteaders for 3 days of learning, sharing, and networking.